The Charisma Challenge
Inspired by Claire Bell’s article on charisma, I decided to undergo the charisma challenge.
I borrowed The Charisma Myth by Olivia Fox Cabane from the library and recruited several work colleagues.
The challenge was to practice a charisma exercise each week and compare results.
After a month we found the following things:
Colleague 1: More people smiled at her during the week. Charisma Total 4
Colleague 2: Forgot to complete the exercises: Charisma total 0
- People returned my smile.
- A work colleague who had ignored me for four years initiated a conversation of several sentences.
- I laughed more.
- I bonded to the colleagues undertaking the challenge.
- I stayed more focused on the moment.
- I temporarily enjoyed my job.
- Interactions with work colleagues increased and were positive. Many spoke about personal issues and stopped by my office for a chat.
Charisma total: 8
Overall, the challenge was successful.
Unfortunately, old habits resurfaced once the challenge finished.
Charisma is hard work.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
About the author
Sue Bell is an entertainment writer and author of Backpacked: A mostly true story, Beat Street and When Dreamworks came to Stanley.