Is Naomi Watts the new Renee Zellweger?
A couple of years ago Renee Zellweger’s new face caused a sensation.
Why the fuss?
As most commentators noted it was because Renee just didn’t look like Zellweger anymore. She was a weird hybrid of her younger and older self.
Whoever transformed her face must have been influenced by Face Off where, in order to catch a psychopath, John Travolta undergoes facial surgery to look like Nicholas Cage. Or was it the other way round because no one would willingly want to look like Nicholas Cage, would they?
So Renee Zellweger’s plan may have been to replicate Naomi Watts. In turn, Watts has had surgery to transform her into Zellweger.
All this face changing is confusing but it does explain why Carrie Fisher now looks like an Ewok.
Is it all part of Hollywood’s plan to tighten budgets so that midlife actresses, and their new faces, can star in roles that previously required CGI?
This is why Nicole Kidman is perfect as the Xenomorph from Aliens, Sandra Bullock with dreadlocks the new Predator and Demi Moore might consider ET.
Then, normally ageing actresses like Judi Dench, Maggie Smith and Diana Rigg can take the roles reserved for human beings.
This means the three old dames from English theatre will be working for a while yet.
There is a lot to be said for ageing gracefully.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
About the author
Sue Bell is an entertainment writer and author of Backpacked: A mostly true story, Beat Street and When Dreamworks came to Stanley.