Jurassic Romance Rekindled
In the movie Jurassic Park, dinosaurs are resurrected by extracting DNA from a preserved insect.
The project mastermind, John Hammond, invites several scientists to tour the remote island where the dinosaurs roam. Delighted by the wonders of technology, Hammond expects his guests to be equally awed and excited. However, fearing the consequences of reviving nature’s extinctions, Dr Ian Malcolm turns to Hammond and warns, “Just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should.”
Sure enough, the dinosaurs escape their electrified fencing, run amok and snack upon the human inhabitants. Revisiting the past, as Malcolm points out, can be disastrous.
For those contemplating reviving an extinct romance it might be wise to heed this warning.
Contacting an ex has never been easier – even if you broke up over 20 years ago. Social media sites including Facebook, Twitter, Blogs and LinkedIn can help you find and contact a former partner within minutes.
According to Nancy Kalish, a psychology professor at Cal State Sacramento who has studied the phenomenon of rekindled romance, old flames often rekindle. She theorizes this is because a physical, chemical imprinting occurs when we meet our first love. It typically happens when we are young and impressionable.
Kalish says her research has shown that a vivid dream about an old flame is the most common trigger for the urge to reunite. It often begins with email contact, then a phone call and eventually meeting for a coffee or a drink. From there, emotional attachment can resurface and the relationship starts all over again.
Rekindling romances can be very successful as long as neither of you is already committed within a relationship. If you are married or committed then Kalish warns, “Don’t do it.”
Her advice is to think very carefully before contacting a past romantic attachment and consider whether it really is what you want or need.
Like Malcolm warned, just because you can do something doesn’t mean you should.
Looking up old flame? Think twice
Midlife Romance – the Second Time Around
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
About the author
Sue Bell is an entertainment writer and author of Backpacked: A mostly true story, Beat Street and When Dreamworks came to Stanley.
- Midlife Romance - The Second Time Around - midlifexpress.com
- midlifexpress.com - News, information and resources for midlife women.
- A Midlife Apple Romance
- Johnny Depp's Reincarnated Romance : midlifexpress