Joe Bageant: A heck of a redneck writer
There are good writers and there are brilliant writers and then there’s Joe Bageant. Or at least there was until he did us a disservice and died a few years ago.
He called himself a “redneck writer” and a “half-assed Buddhist”.
I call him one of the best writers. Ever.
Joe was blunt. He saw little hope for our current living arrangements, based as they are upon cheap fossil fuels, a fictitious economy and the acquisition of stuff.
He eventually gave up on the US and moved to Belize, a country on the north eastern coast of Central America, where he lived a simple life and observed and wrote about the American boondoggle from a distance.
His books and essays on the delusional state of American culture are exquisitely crafted and unforgettable. I suggest you find this out for yourself and read his book Deer Hunting with Jesus: Dispatches from America’s Class War.
Or you could read a few of his essays first and then read his book.
Just make sure you read something he’s written before you die.
If you’re looking for great writing and a blazing critique of Western society’s spiritual and intellectual void, then take a deep breath, brace yourself and wade into Joe Bageant’s world.
You can find all his essays here:
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)
About the author
Claire Bell is the health and wellbeing editor of Midlifexpress. She is the author of Stone Age Secrets for Mind and Body and Comma Magic. Print and ebooks available on Amazon.