Janine’s voluptuous vegetarian pasties
Janine, my prodigiously talented friend, appeared on our doorstep last night with these palatable pasties. They are delicious beyond belief. Here’s her creation for you to enjoy too.
3 medium carrots, washed and peeled.
1/2 a sweet potato, peeled
3 medium brushed potatoes, peeled and washed.
1/2 a head of broccoli
500gm of mushrooms, washed and roughly chopped
I cup frozen peas
1 onion, peeled and roughly chopped
2 tsps of minced garlic (or 2 cloves)
1 tbs of rosemary
1 tbs of oregano
1/2 tsp ginger powder
1/2 tsp cumin powder
2 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp nutmeg
8 sheets of frozen shortcrust pastry, partially thawed.
1 egg, lightly beaten
Pulse onion, garlic, mushrooms, carrots, rosemary, oregano and broccoli in a blender until roughly chopped.
Place mixture in a pan with heated olive oil, and fry until soft and slightly browned.
Pulse sweet potato and potato in blender until roughly chopped.
Add to pan along with rest of spices and cook till soft but not mushy.
Add peas and let mixture cool.
Once veggie mix is cool, cut pastry into 4 squares and adding one ice-cream scoop to each square fold into a triangle and crimp edges to firmly seal.
Stand on greased (preferably lined) baking tray with tip standing on top. Brush with egg and bake for 1/2 hr–40mins in a moderate temp oven. Or until golden brown and crusty.
- Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Tumblr (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Pinterest (Opens in new window)
- Click to print (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Google+ (Opens in new window)
- Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)